Essentially, TMJ disorder means that the joint connecting your upper and lower jaw is not functioning the way it should. This part of your body that allows you to move your lower jaw forward, backward and side-to-side is a complex system made up of more than just bone. There are ligaments, discs and muscles involved as well, so TMJ signifies the malfunction of at least one of these.
There are many symptoms of TMJ, but it is sometimes hard to be definitively sure if these symptoms signify that you are suffering from this disorder, or if they come from another complication. For this reason, a proper diagnosis can only come from a professional.
Some of the possible symptoms of TMJ are:
– Headaches that often mimic migraines, earaches, and pain and pressure behind the eyes.
– A clicking or popping sound when you open your mouth.
– Pain felt when yawning or while opening your mouth widely and chewing.
– Jaws that feel like they lock of get momentarily stuck.
– Tenderness of jaw muscles.
– A sudden change in how the upper and lower teeth align or fit together.
If you suffer from any of the above symptoms, we encourage you to call at 435-623-1916 to schedule an appointment and come see us at Nephi Dental Clinic in Nephi, Utah. Dr. Scott and Doug Petersen, our dentists, are here to help you find out if you suffer from TMJ and to help you reach a diagnosis. Our capable team is dedicated to helping you with all your oral health care needs.